7/08/2022

Request for information about CIIS musicians

Hello everyone, My name is Vincent Veerbeek and I am a PhD student at the University of Helsinki in Finland. My dissertation research is about the history of marching band music in government boarding schools for young Native Americans including Carlisle. To get a better sense of the way the marching bandsshaped school life and student experiences, I am interested to hear stories that have been passed down about what it was like to be in the band, the school band’s performances, its role in everyday life, and so on. In addition, I am curious about the stories of students who went on to have careers as band leaders in the Indian school service. Among the Carlisle graduates who led school bands later in life are James and Dennison Wheelock, Richard Barrington, Robert DePoe, Angus Lookaround, Alfred Venne, and Pablo Herrera. These are the ones I know of, but there were undoubtedly others. If any of you have stories related to (marching band) music at Carlisle that you would be willing to share with me, feel free to send me an email at vincent.veerbeek@helsinki.fi . Warm regards, Vincent

2 comments:

Derek said...

Hi Vincent (and Barbara) - you can also look to the memoirs by Luther Standing Bear, who was in the first group of children brought to the school in 1879 and played cornet in the school band. He has some descriptions of marching band life in his memoir, My People, the Sioux. There is also discussion of marching band music at Carlisle in John Troutman's Indian Blues and Philip Deloria's Indians in Unexpected Places, as you probably know. I know that there are a few scattered compositions either by students (including Wheelock) or by others but performed by the Carlisle Band in the archives at the CCHS and the Pratt papers at Yale. I may have a few scans of these that I could dig up if you were interested. Feel free to email me at derekibaron [at] gmail. For a contemporary artistic engagement with the musical legacy at Carlisle, you could look at Brent Michael Davids' score for the documentary Bright Circle.

Barbara Landis said...

Thanks - great suggestions. So glad you shared this.